Each of the seven chakras is responsible for different aspects of your physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being. In this post, you will find out the third eye chakra meaning, which is the sixth chakra in the human body.
Known as Ajna in Sanskrit, the third eye chakra serves as a gateway to inner wisdom and heightened awareness.
Let’s explore the meaning of the third eye chakra, its characteristics, and ways to balance it.
The Third Eye Chakra Meaning: Understanding the Sixth Chakra
The third eye chakra is the sixth chakra in the traditional Hindu system. Its color is indigo.
It is situated in the forehead, slightly above and between the eyebrows, often referred to as the “mind’s eye.” Its dark blue color signifies connection to intuition, perception, and insight.
Third Eye Chakra Meaning: Characteristics of the Sixth chakra
The third eye chakra is a vital energy center that plays a major role in your spiritual journey and self-discovery. It serves as the seat of intuition, helping you perceive the world beyond the limitations of the physical senses. This chakra is linked to the pineal gland, a small but important gland located deep within the brain.
Here are some of the characteristics of the sixth center of our bodies:
- Intuition: The third eye chakra helps you tap into your inner knowing, allowing you to make decisions and choices that align with your Higher Self. When this chakra is balanced, intuition becomes a reliable guiding force.
- Perception: This chakra governs your perception of the world, not just in the physical sense, but also in how you interpret and understand the events and situations around you.
- Insight: With an active and balanced third eye chakra, individuals often experience profound insights into their own lives and the world at large. These insights can provide clarity and direction, making it easier to navigate life’s challenges.
- Inner Wisdom: Often referred to as the “seat of wisdom,” the third eye chakra is associated with inner wisdom and knowledge. It allows you to access a deeper understanding of yourself and the Universe.
Imbalanced Third Eye Chakra Signs
An imbalanced third eye chakra can manifest in various signs and symptoms that can affect your mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being. Here are some common signs of an imbalanced third eye chakra, along with explanations of each:
- Lack of Intuition: When the third eye chakra is imbalanced, you may struggle to trust you intuition. This can lead to poor decision-making and a sense of feeling disconnected from your inner wisdom.
- Difficulty in Concentration: An imbalanced third eye chakra can result in an inability to focus or concentrate effectively. This may lead to scattered thoughts, forgetfulness, and difficulty completing tasks.
- Overthinking: On the opposite end of the spectrum, an imbalanced third eye chakra can also lead to excessive overthinking. Individuals may become overly analytical, constantly questioning their choices and becoming overwhelmed by thoughts.
- Lack of Clarity: Those with an imbalanced third eye chakra may experience a lack of clarity in their lives. They may struggle to see the bigger picture, making it challenging to set clear goals or make decisions.
Third Eye Chakra Balancing Essential Oils
Here is a selection of powerful oils which help to balance the third eye chakra.
More IMBALANCED Third Eye Chakra Signs
- Disconnect from Spirituality: The third eye chakra is associated with spiritual awareness and growth. When imbalanced, you may feel disconnected from your spiritual path, which may lead to a sense of emptiness or a lack of purpose.
- Difficulty Trusting Intuitive Insights: Even when intuitive insights arise, those with an imbalanced third eye chakra may have trouble trusting them. They may second-guess themselves or dismiss their inner guidance.
- Closed-Mindedness: An imbalanced third eye chakra can lead to a closed-minded approach to life. You may resist new ideas, perspectives, or experiences, limiting your personal growth and understanding of the world.
- Headaches and Eye Problems: Physical symptoms such as frequent headaches, eye strain, or vision issues can be associated with an imbalanced third eye chakra. These symptoms may arise due to the energetic blockages in this area.
Third Eye Chakra Balancing Gemstones
Here are some great gemstone choices to balance your third eye chakra.
How to Balance the Third Eye Chakra
In this section, you will read about the practical methods for balancing your third eye chakra.
- Meditation: Regular meditation is one of the most effective ways to balance the third eye chakra. During meditation, focus your attention on the area between your eyebrows. Visualize a spinning indigo or violet energy wheel. This practice helps activate and harmonize the chakra.
- Mindfulness: Practicing mindfulness involves staying present in the moment. By being fully aware of your thoughts, emotions, and surroundings without judgment, you can strengthen your connection to your Higher Self.
- Yoga: Specific yoga poses can target and open the third eye chakra. Poses that involve forward bends, such as Child’s Pose (Balasana) and Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana), are particularly beneficial. Incorporating yoga into your daily routine can promote energy flow in the third eye region.
- Journaling: Keeping a journal to record your dreams, intuitive insights, and experiences related to the third eye chakra can help you become more aware of its fluctuations. This self-reflection can aid in understanding and balancing the chakra over time.
Other Ways to Balance the Ajna Chakra
Here I’m listing some less used, but just as effective ways to regulate your third eye chakra.
- Sound Healing: Sound healing practices, such as listening to Tibetan singing bowls or specific frequencies associated with the third eye chakra, can promote balance in the sixth energy center of the body.
- Seek Guidance: Consulting with experienced energy healers or chakra therapists can provide specialized guidance and energy healing techniques tailored to your specific needs. These individuals can help identify and address any imbalances or blockages.
- Spend Time in Nature: Connecting with nature and spending time outdoors can help rebalance the third eye chakra. The natural environment can inspire and enhance your intuitive abilities.
- Nutrition: Maintaining a balanced and nutritious diet can support chakra healing. Foods rich in antioxidants, such as blueberries and dark leafy greens, can promote overall energy balance, including the third eye chakra. Vegetarian diet increases your sensitivity to physical and non-physical worlds, whilst meat diet grounds you.
Third Eye Chakra Color Meaning
The color associated with the third eye chakra, also known as the Ajna chakra, is typically indigo or deep blue-purple.
The color indigo stands for intuition, other worlds, non-physical realms, clarity and perception. Surrounding yourself with or visualizing the color indigo can help activate and balance this chakra.
This color also symbolizes Divine connection. It’s the color of mystics, and it increases your spiritual protection if you wear this color or have with you indigo-colored gemstones.
The color indigo is also told to aid those who seek the truth, thus it’s beneficial to wear this color or have the gemstones of this color if you are a truth-seeker.
Finally, this color signifies transcendence – going beyond the physical boundaries of this existence, and thus it’s beneficial to wear for all those who are focused on spiritual progress.
Third Eye Chakra Symbol Meaning
The symbol of the third eye chakra consists of a lotus flower, a circle, a triangle, and a bindu.
Let’s break down the components of the sixth chakra symbol to better understand the third eye chakra meaning.
- Lotus Flower: The central element of the third eye chakra symbol is a lotus flower with two large petals. These petals represent the duality of our physical and spiritual existence. They also symbolize the duality of perception—inner and outer, self and other, material and spiritual.
- Circle: It’s a symbol of unity, completeness, and the cyclical nature of existence. It represents the interconnectedness of all things and the continuous flow of energy in the Universe.
- Triangle: Within the lotus flower, there is a downward-pointing triangle, often referred to as the “yoni” or feminine aspect. This triangle represents the feminine energy, which is receptive, intuitive, and nurturing. It is associated with the qualities of the moon, such as intuition and inner knowing.
- Bindu: At the center of the triangle is a small dot or point, known as the “bindu.” This point represents the unity of male and female energies, symbolizing balance and harmony. It is often seen as the focal point of concentration and meditation.
The third eye chakra, the sixth energy center in the chakra system, helps with intuition and clear perception. When balanced and open, you see the world as it really is, and you can also perceive the phenomena of non-physical existences.
The third eye chakra is a transformative energy center that holds the key to unlocking your wisdom and enhancing your perception of not only this world, but the worlds beyond. I hope that this article helped you understand the meaning of the third eye chakra, and methods to balance it.
- Judith, Anodea. “Eastern Body, Western Mind: Psychology and the Chakra System as a Path to the Self”.
- Dale, Cindy. “The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy”.
- Wauters, A. Chakras and Their Archetypes: Uniting Energy Awareness and Spiritual Growth.
- Khalsa, G. S., & O’Keeffe, D. The Kundalini Yoga Experience: Bringing Body, Mind, and Spirit Together.