I’ve been wanting to write this update for a long time, but only now I got the time to do so.

There’s still a lot of work on the farm – I need to cut the grass for the last time, to prepare for the autumn. That’s not an easy job, as the land is pretty big.

Today I went to a village shop for some food supplies, cut the grass, played with my sweet pets, and now it’s the time to write an article about them.


If you’ve been in touch with me, you know that I came back from India to Lithuania faster than I intended because I started getting thoughts about Boris. I tried calling my neighbor, but she didn’t pick up (as it was a foreign number).

After two weeks, she picked up the call. It turned out, two weeks ago, Boris had to be chained, because one village neighbor made a complaint about a loose dog and the neighbor who looked after the dog almost needed to pay a fine.

When I came to pick him up, he didn’t look the same way. His muscles turned into fat, because he would get no exercise, being locked up. His eyes were reddish, as he was kept in the dark a lot. In Lithuanian villages, dogs rarely stay at home, but are kept outdoors in barns, and so forth.

So I was saddened to see Boris in such a condition, but I knew he was young, and that he could quickly recover.

I trained the dog to stay with me (as much as possible, at least), so that he could still run free, though not go too far from the property (so that the neighbor doesn’t make a complaint again).

My mother purchased good-quality vitamins from the UK for him and brought them here when she came. Every day, we fed him meat and vitamins, as well as some dry dog food, and soon his muscles started developing again, and his fur became shiny.

Recently, two of my neighbors visited me. They missed Boris – he used to visit those neighbors daily before. The first thing they noticed about him was how shiny his fur was.

So Boris has fully recovered, and now on the farm he’s the one following me around rather than Poocha. I guess he’s very grateful that I came back to rescue him.


Poocha wasn’t in a good condition either, when I came back. In a few hours of me staying on my farm, he was there, in my house, to greet me. He jumped into the house through my open window:)

I noticed a collar around his neck, yet he wasn’t looked after at all. His one eye was closed, and thick liquid was oozing from it.

He was limping – unfortunately, the wound that was healing for ages, didn’t fully heal. His leg was puffy and painful.

So the healing began.

I kept cleaning his eye whenever he would come to see me. I called the village vet for a visit.

The vet told to clean the eye with chamomile tea, if the situation doesn’t get better. He also examined his leg and gave some antibiotics for him to drink.

I kept cleaning the eye, and it started clearing. Eventually, only a very clear liquid was oozing from it, and Poocha could open the eye easier. And then, finally, the problem was gone – his eye was restored.

I fed him antibiotics for three days, and it worked! The swelling started subsiding, and finally, he was no longer limping. The best evidence for the leg being fully healed was seeing him eat a bird. He used to catch birds all the time, but since the leg injury, he couldn’t jump anymore. Now, he was his former self.

As days pass, I sometimes see Poocha eating some mouse or bird. Yes, for sure, he is back to his former self – being a hunter.

Now Poocha doesn’t spend so much time in my home as he used to. I guess he’s enjoying catching prey, and the last pleasant days of the early autumn.